Monday, March 4, 2013

March 4, 2013



Dear Family,

I have some good news for you guys this week. Kancho did go through with his baptism and it was amazing! Not as many people showed up as for Beatriz´s, but his friends were there and Beatriz was there, so I think that was the most important for him. 


Beatriz gave a very sweet talk to start the meeting. She said she had been preparing her talk for the last 2 days, but that now, in front of everybody, her mind was blank. She ended up just talking about how happy she was for Kancho, how proud she was of his desires to share the gospel with his family and how she hopes he will continue to live the commandments throughout his life. She didn´t use any scriptures or anything, it was all from her heart, which was special.


The Bishop gave a good talk about the Spirit and about doing baptisms for the dead. He said today you get baptised for you, tomorrow for 20 or 30 people in the temple who have been waiting for years and years. It was a good talk.


After that I preformed the baptism, which was awesome, even though the water was a little cold. It was awesome to see him dressed all in white with a tie and everything. Haha, he said the baptism clothes were basically what he wears to work, minus the tie.


We went back into the chapel and Ely bore her testimony. And then Kancho got up to give his testimony. I was a little bit worried, he´s a pretty quiet, reserved kind of guy. He started by saying that he was a man of few words, and then he gave a beautiful testimony about how growing up in Bulgaria he never was taught about God and that the first thing he wants to do is share the gospel with his family. He talked about how in the church he has found true friends which is not easy to do and he thanked all the missionaries who have helped him to this point. I got a little emotional, to be honest. He was like a different person. There was new life in him and a light in his eyes, that I´ve never seen in him before. I remember thinking I want to bottle up this moment and keep it forever. He said he´s learned that there are two types of people in the world, those who ask why and those who ask why not. He said that he´s always been one of those who asks why, and that the missionaries especially know that, but that he has learned that sometimes you just have to act. And then he started talking about Beatriz. . . He said that 8 years ago he met someone who has been a support and a guide in his life ever since. He said he knew that their meeting wasn´t coincidence. And then he said: ¨With all of you here as my witnesses I would like to ask her hand in marriage.¨ He walked down from the stand to where Beatriz was sitting in tears, got down on one knee, in between the pews and everything, and asked her if she wanted to marry him. I think she could hardly breathe, but she managed to say yes and he put the ring on her finger and kissed her. Everyone started clapping. I was in complete shock. I didn´t know whether to laugh or cry, and I´m pretty sure I did a little of both. And then, get this, he walked back up to the stand and closed in the name of Jesus Christ and then sat down by his fiancee. 


I don´t know how to explain how I felt. I don´t know if I´ve ever been so happy. I didn´t stop smiling the rest of the night. It was probably a little inappropriate to propose from the pulpit, but I don´t even care, it was perfect and I´m definitely never going to forget it. I called Elder Rigtrup that night to tell him and he said that is probably the greatest story he´s ever heard. I agree. My dreams over the last 5 months are coming true. Now it´s just one year and they can go to the temple together and receive the greatest blessing we can get in this life. Thank you so much for your prayers for them. You´ve never even met either of them, but I know you´ve prayed with love and I know it´s made the difference. I´ve seen it and it´s a miracle. I´m so happy for them!


Other than that it was a normal week. We had to push back Daniela´s baptism to the 16th because she didn´t come to church this week (she was sick). But I think it will be better that day anyway. We need a bit more time. She is so good though, I have no worries, just more time to teach everything more tranquilo. She came back from London on Tuesday and she brought Jelly Bellies and key chains for Elder Berton and me! How cool is that? She´s awesome.


So yes P-days are Mondays and I didn´t realize it but, transfer days as well. Next transfer will be the 17th. Haha, I have no idea if I´m going or not. We were pretty sure last time, but look at what happened. You never know. I´m good with either as well. I love Barrio 6. The members here are awesome and there is so much work. We´ll just see what happens. 


Well that´s all I have for this week. I´m glad it´s starting to get a little warmer. I love you guys and am so so grateful for all you do. Thank you for your love and support and help. It means a lot. I couldn´t serve the mission or see the success I am seeing without you guys. I love you!!
 

Love,

Elder Cousins



1 comment:

  1. What a great experience! My son is heading to Madrid mission on the 20th. He will be in the MTC but don't know for how long. I would love to talk with any of you about your experiences.

    Lynette

    ReplyDelete