Monday, May 6, 2013

May 6, 2013



So how was everyone´s week? Mine was super busy the first few days and then pretty normal (a little boring really) the rest of the time (lots of time in the office). But. . . we managed to bring in 28 new missionaries to our mission and they all have somewhere to live! Monday and Tuesday were insane! President says he thinks that this is the most missionaries to come into a mission ever, anywhere. And it´s happening all over the world. They estimate 3 years before things even out again. In July we have 22 coming in, in September 37 and only about 16 go home between now and then. It´s crazy how much missionary work is growing and it´s so cool that everyone can feel it. Even the members here can feel it. Big things are coming. 

One of those 28 was a girl who lives in Lindon and went to high school with me, Courtney King. When we presented ourselves to the new missionaries, she asked me where I was from and then asked if I had a younger brother named Quinn. I said, "I am Quinn" and everyone laughed. She said I looked a lot different, so I guess I have grown on the mission (though mostly sideways I imagine). 

Well, on to what´s really important. . . Mother´s Day on Sunday! I´m pretty excited to see you all, see if I still recognize the girls and of course blow Mom a huge Mother´s Day kiss through the internet. All the computers here in the office are hooked up with Skype so we will be able to see AND hear each other (isn´t technology wonderful). In fact I´m downloading it right. . . now! Hopefully all goes better this time. OK, I have my account all set up and I sent a contact request to Dad (based on the picture of the Oregon Coast, I'm pretty sure that´s him). So you just have to add me and then I´ll give you a call as soon as I get on. We are thinking about doing it at 4 here, which would be at 8 in the morning your time. I don´t remember when you have church. If that absolutely doesn´t work, email me back and I'll check that morning before I call you. We can do it pretty much whenever.
  
They do have "Día de la Madre" in Spain, but it´s the first Sunday of May. So the native missionaries have already talked with their families. 

That´s super cool that Erin is going to try out for soccer again! Is she excited or more interested in track now? I hope it all goes well and she can enjoy playing again. Good luck Erin!!

Thank you for that scripture you sent. I really like it. It applies especially to life in the mission. Our thoughts and affections have to be placed in the Lord in order to have the Spirit and the power to do this work. I´ve learned that many times, the hard way and the easy way. I´ve been struggling a little lately, being in the office. It´s hard not being out teaching (we had almost no lessons last week) and it´s really easy to lose control of things like the schedule and really giving all to the work. Plus, I just abhor being inside in front of a computer all day. So, it´s been a little rough, but I want to tell you about something cool that happened. I decided to read the other day 1 Nephi 4 because it´s one the most powerful chapters in the Book of Mormon to me, especially when I need help. I was reading in there and thinking about how God lets us pass through trials (I mean He placed me here) so that we can grow, so that we can be better, and the thought came to me that if this is what I need to go through so that I can be the man God needs me to be in the future, as a husband, as a father, as a leader, then it´s totally worth it. In fact it would be worth it to suffer throughout this whole life if it was what I needed to be who He needs me to be. God has a plan and a purpose for my life. Every experience has a reason and something to be learned. It´s a lot harder in practice, in an actual situation that is hard for us, but if we keep that in mind maybe we can start to reach the potential that we have. God knows what is coming and He prepares us if we can be humble. It´s still not easy, but I have that to lean back on and to give me strength to do the right thing. I just wanted to share that thought with everybody. The mission is the best, I´m learning so much.

I love you all so, so much and I cannot wait to see you and talk with you on Sunday! Start thinking of some good stories to tell me! Ha ha, just kidding. Take care! Thanks for everything you do, you´re the best!!

Love,

Elder Cousins      

PS Pictures are from today. We went to El Escorial where all the Spanish kings are buried. Unfortunately, it was all closed, so we only saw the outside. It´s purty though, innit? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment